If you like disrupting the norm and are looking to join a company revolutionizing an industry then you will LOVE what Carvana has done for the car buying experience. Buying a car the old fashioned way sucks and we are working hard to make it NOT suck. I mean, have you seen our vending machine?!
We are looking for people who are excited to thrive in an environment of impactful change. Team spirit is evident at Carvana and everyday we let our passions and creativity foster innovation. We take big swings, set ambitious goals, and challenge each other to make data- and process-driven decisions in everything we do. Here are a few of our stories! We’ve been changing the game since 2013, and we’re not taking our foot off the gas now. Want more of the story? Check out our background here.
About the team and position
The Senior Manager, Talent Development is obsessed with people, ensuring they love their job, and executing a holistic people plan & strategies to elevate the employee experience and continuously raise the bar on the performance & development of our people. This role is responsible for partnering with department leadership to drive organizational effectiveness through the execution and management of multiple Talent programs and processes. More specifically, the Senior Manager is a consultative and thoughtful People Operations professional, ready to roll up their sleeves to partner with our fabulous Operations teams.
We’re looking for a Senior Manager of Talent Development, to support one of the following teams.
Our Operations Teams:
- Inspection Centers – Our Inspection Center teams perform full-scale inspections on all of our vehicles and facilitate all necessary reconditioning, mechanical, and cosmetic processes. Essentially, they’re responsible for getting vehicles in optimal, sale-ready condition.
- Logistics/Wholesale – We buy and sell cars all over the country. Which means we move cars all over the country throughout various stages of the purchase, inspection/reconditioning, and sales processes. Our Logistics team manages the operations of vehicle transportation and getting our cars where they need to be, when they need to be there. Our Wholesale Team manages the company’s portfolio of non-retail vehicles to optimize the resale value, while reducing time to sale and minimizing remarketing costs.
- Market Operations – Our Market Operations teams are super customer-facing and focused. These teams take the customer experience over the finish line by making sure purchased vehicles are totally ready to go, delivering vehicles to customer’s homes, or facilitating the customer experience at one of our awesome car vending machines.
- ADESA Operations – Our ADESA Operations teams support the inspection, reconditioning and sale of vehicles for commercial and dealer customers through one of 56 live in-person and virtual auto auctions. These teams include associates who manage titles, inspect, repair and detail vehicles, maintain a safe and secure environment, along with management staff.
As a Senior Manager of Talent Development, you will oversee a team of talent development professionals, responsible for driving the effectiveness of talent programs and processes to support the continued growth and development of our Operations teams. In addition, you’ll provide consultation to leaders regarding change management, organizational design, employee engagement, and team effectiveness. You’ll have the opportunity to help shape the future of Carvana’s talent and will see your insights have an immediate impact in an exciting, fast-paced, and rapidly growing company.
The Senior Manager, Talent Development (Operations) position is either based out of our Tempe, AZ Carvana Headquarters or may work remotely.
What you’ll be doing
- Drive and execute defined projects around talent planning, career development, employee development, diversity and employee engagement initiatives
- Build trusting relationships and partnerships with department leaders.
- Partner with department leaders to ensure the most effective organizational structure is in place and that each team member has role clarity as the organization grows and changes
- Successfully deploy talent reviews, promotions and merit increase cycle. Serve as an advisor on compensation related activities.
- Lead change-management efforts of ad-hoc people initiatives, as needed.
- Build and implement programs and processes that will elevate the employee experience.
- Coach department leadership on people strategy including team structure (organizational design), hiring, performance management, compensation, recognition, and learning development.
- Empower managers to build amazing teams by providing them with the necessary tools, resources and training needed – collaborate with Leadership Development team & technical training team to supplement leader & employee development.
- Lead and oversee the development and implementation of leadership development and other development focused programs.
- Collaborate with internal partners in Learning & Design and Technical/Functional Training to create and facilitate relevant and effective development content.
- Assess employee development needs and recommend solutions.
- Work closely with leadership and employees to improve team/leadership effectiveness, build morale, and increase productivity and retention.
- Other duties as assigned
What you should know/have
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited undergraduate institution.
- 5+ years’ experience in talent development, operations leadership, organizational development, or human resources.
- 5+ years’ of people leadership experience.
- Have prior experience creating or implementing a people strategy for an hourly workforce
- An outstanding communicator with relationship-building skills – your friends would call you authentic, energetic, persuasive, and self-aware. You know when to listen, as well as when to speak up.
- Strong facilitation and project management skills.
- Able to hustle – you get things done even after everyone else has given up, and work hard because you love to. You have a bias towards action.
- Passionate about helping and empowering others.
- Demonstrated track record of developing effective relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Problem solving capabilities with ability to apply judgment and make decisions.
- Displays strong business acumen – sees the big picture and operates with perspective.
- Preference will be given to internal candidates.
What we’ll offer in return
- Full-Time Salary Position with a competitive salary.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision benefits.
- 401K with company match.
- A multitude of perks including student loan payments, discounts on vehicles, benefits for your pets, and much more..
- A great wellness program to keep you healthy and happy both physically and mentally.
- Access to opportunities to expand your skill set and share your knowledge with others across the organization.
- A company culture of promotions from within, with a start-up atmosphere allowing for varied and rapid career development.
- A seat in one of the fastest-growing companies in the country.
To be able to do your job at Carvana, there are some basic requirements we want to share with you.
- Must be able to read, write, speak and understand English.
Of course, we’ll make any reasonable accommodations for those with disabilities to perform the essential functions of their jobs.
Hiring is contingent on passing a complete background check. This role is not eligible for visa sponsorship.
Carvana is an equal employment opportunity employer. All applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, protected veteran status, or genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. Carvana also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Please note this job description is not designed to contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
To apply for this job please visit www.carvana.com.